Monday, June 4, 2012

The Coach

For those of you that know me you probably have picked up on the fact that I love basketball.  I tell all those that will listen that it is THE game.  I loved playing the game as a youth and I still love watching it.   Two of my boys even had to endure me as their coach when they played at the YMCA.  They got yelled at just as much as the other players.  Sometimes though it seems like the instructions that I yelled fell on deaf ears.

I was ecstatic when I learned several years ago that Oklahoma City was going to be home to a pro basketball team and have been a fan since then.  I haven't made it to any of the  games but I follow them and watch them on the television.  I even coach them but the don't hear me.  I shout instructions to them, the coach and the referees but it falls on deaf ears.

I was thinking about that yesterday and it hit me.  How many times have I been shouted at, whispered to or read instructions but it just fell on deaf ears.  How many times have I ignored that still small voice trying to instruct me but just closed my ears.  I don't even have the excuse that someone was yelling at me from the other side of the television or that I was on a loud basketball court.  I just didn't listen.  I need to open my ears, hear the instructions and take action.  I need to be a team player.

Just as basketball players have a coach so do Christians. Are you on THE team?  Do you listen to the Coach?


Proverbs 8:33

New International Version (NIV)
33 Listen to my instruction and be wise;
    do not disregard it.



No comments:

Post a Comment