Friday, December 7, 2012

Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941

I was not here yet in 1941 but I have seen the movies and the news reels of what happened on December 7th, 1941.  It has been said that this event woke up a sleeping giant.  The movies and the old news reels send chills down my spine.  I root for the men and women even though I already know their fate.  I mourned for them as the movies show them dying with their sinking ship and as the bombs hit the shelter that they are in.

I had the privilege of going to Pearl Harbor the summer of 2004.  It was awesome!  It was chilling and it was sobering.  I walked around with a sense of awe and unbelief.  I could not believe something like this had happened on this perfect Island.  We zipped across the bay on a motor boat to see the Arizona Memorial.  The mood of everyone was light but the closer we got the talking died down and as we stepped onto the Memorial everyone grew quiet.  I felt as if I was back in time.  I could see the bombs fall and the Arizona sinking.  I looked down into the quiet waters and saw what was left of the Arizona.  I can not thank those that died in person but I am grateful for their sacrifice. Their sacrifice also saddens me.

I know the rest of the story and so do you.  We know the ending of that war.  The giant awoke and finished the war.  My concern today is what about that giant?  Has it went back to sleep?

There is One that never sleeps.  There is One that is always there even when the bombs in your life are falling! He is there even when your ship is sinking.  He has always been there!  Yesterday, today and tomorrow, He will never leave you!!


John 11:25

New International Version (NIV)
25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die;


John 14:6-7

New International Version (NIV)
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really know me, you will know[a] my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”

No comments:

Post a Comment