Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Too Much Stuff!

Well I have written about junk so I thought that now I would write about stuff.  I have way too much stuff and from the post I have seen on facebook lately I know I am probably not the only one with this problem.  I really need to go through my stuff and have a yard sale, give it away or throw it away.  I know if I got rid of some of my stuff I wouldn't have to deal with my piles!

There is some stuff though that I don't want to get rid of but I need to at least limit time with it.  I am talking of the electronic stuff.  In the last thirty years electronics have boomed.  Most of the people I know have at least a computer and cell phone.  Now my daughter has a play station,  personal play station, a dsi, a stereo but she wants, wants, wants more. I am thinking she has too much stuff.  Doesn't it seem weird to have to tell your daughter no electronics when you tell her good night.

I think that the electronics have invaded our lives and left us changed.  I think that electronics have sneaked into our lives and stolen something precious.  TIME!!!  The time that we used to have talking with each other, going outside, reading and so many more activities is now spent with computers, games, T.V., I pads and more. I wrote a poem called  T.V., several years ago, for a class I was taking but I think this poem could be any of the electronics that takes our time.

                                                                T.V.
                                                  Like mindless robots we sit
                                                  Pushing the buttons daily
                                                  Invading familiar territory

                                                  Stuffing food all the while
                                                  Watching others engage in crime,
                                                   passion or sports
                                                  They are family

                                                 Communication is rare
                                                 Grunts and silence reign
                                                 As OUR family fade

These things also affect another area of my life.  I know that when I let these items become number 1 in my life I don't take time with my God.  I don't have time to read the Bible and pray.  I actually quit playing farmville because I felt like I spent most of my free time playing that game.  My spiritual and family life was suffering and I had to let it go.

I don't even miss it!!!


Exodus 20:1-5

New International Version (NIV)

Exodus 20

The Ten Commandments
 1 And God spoke all these words: 2 “I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.
 3 “You shall have no other gods before[a] me.
 4 “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,

1 comment:

  1. GREAT POST BRENDA!!! I couldn't have said it any better myself! :) I agree with you 100,000%! Electronics have changed us...some ways for the better, but most ways for the worst. I wish we could sit outside, play outside, read outside, call each other more, do in-home visits and sit and drink tea or coffee together more...face to face contact...it's lost...I almost started crying in your poem when you said, "They are family..." Justin and I fight about this a lot because while I spend too much time on the computer, he spends too much time watching TV and there's not QUALITY of FAMILY TIME together with our kids...sometimes I wish I could do like that one movie with Brendan Frasier and lock my kids in the basement and make them watch The Cosby Show or Seventh Heaven all day and listen to Christian music and not have a cell phone or access to any other electronics...my how times have changed!

    ReplyDelete