Wednesday, October 26, 2011

How's your bloom?


This is a plant I received in 2004 from a family that was in my childcare.  I had childcare in my home for five years.  This family was moving to another town and gave this plant to me on their last day.

For those of you that know me well, you probably are very surprised that I somehow have kept this plant alive.  This is a plant that likes water so all I have to do is give it water.  I have never given it too much water.

You may notice the beautiful bloom and the green leaves though the branches do look a bit twisted.  This plant only produces blooms at certain times of the year but when they bloom this is what they look like.  Please don't ask me when they are supposed to bloom because I have no idea.  I do know they have bloomed at different times of the year. The blooms last about a day and then they fall off.  Even when it is not time for the blooming I still have to water the plant.  It still needs the water and the green leaves.

There have been times that I have forgot to give this plant water and that is when the limbs became twisted and dried.  There was even one time that it was time for a bloom and the pod was in place but the bloom never happened.  The pod just dried up and disintegrated.  When I finally remembered to water the plant the limbs stayed twisted.

My life in Christ can be like that.  When I can see the blooms and the flowers I  stay in the word and pray but sometimes when I can't see the flowers I get discouraged.  Sometimes I let the prayer and bible reading go.  Then I feel like that pod.  I feel like I might dry up, become twisted and disintegrate!!

My dry spell may even leave a mark on me.  I need to remember that I don't have to see the blooms to blossom. Blooms can fade but the word of God will be with me forever!!


Isaiah 40:8

New International Version (NIV)

8 The grass withers and the flowers fall,
   but the word of our God endures forever.

1 Peter 1:24

New International Version (NIV)
24 For,
   “All people are like grass,
   and all their glory is like the flowers of the field;
the grass withers and the flowers fall,

1 comment:

  1. Amen Brenda! Such beautiful verses too! I hate it when I start to feel like that...all dried up and twisted. Maybe that's when my back starts to hurt and my joints start to ache...I feel a lot of times that the way I feel physically is God reminding me of my spiritual condition AT TIMES...not all the time and this may not be true for everyone. When I remember to do the things I need to do to take care of myself, I feel better...physically and spiritually. I don't think our job is to be fruit inspectors or bloom inspectors though either. We can still blossom even if we can't see blooms. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete