Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Journey Continues: Back home again, but with home health.

This has been an exciting and rough week.  Richard was released from the hospital Tuesday and he was very excited.  He was sick and tired of being there and I was just tired from sleeping in the recliner and from running back and forth from home to Oklahoma City.  Richard was released but still had to have IV medicines and fluids so home health was contacted and planned on meeting us at the house as soon as we got home.

It was one of those hurry up and get here to sit and wait on the release.  I should have known. LOL  He finally got released around four.  Home health got to our house at six to explain their process, give us their number and to show me how to get Richard hooked up to the IV.  Our insurance will pay for home health 100 percent but they expect somebody in the family to learn how to do the medicines and fluids.  The nurse did come three times in a row before I was on my own.  She came by also on Friday morning to get vital signs and call a report in to the Doctor.  She will also do this Monday, Wednesday and Friday this week.

It seemed like when the nurse was there I was doing everything just perfect but it was different by myself.  I had several problems that I had to call the nurse.  She was able to walk me through it on the phone two times but had to make a trip to the house once.  She said it just takes experience.  I am sure that I don't want much more experience in this field.

Richard was glad to be home but he has had a really rough week.  The "runs" came back with a vengeance and his legs and belly are very swollen.  His legs were so swollen that for a while he could not even bend his legs.  He had to get a transfusion of platelets on Friday.  He has just seemed miserable and my husband has been a very grumpy patient at times.

I have to say I admire all the nurses and caregivers!!  It is very hard, tiring work.  There is the running.  Go get the medicines which in our case took about ten trips because they couldn't get all of them in at one time.  Go get the food that the husband/patient can eat.  Go get the daughter, take her where she had to go, go back and hook up the patient/husband to his medicines.  Go back and get the daughter, make sure to get back in time to get the husband/patient unhooked.  Go to work, run back home at lunch, get off early to go hook up medicines or go take him to get platelets.  I know I got a glimpse of myself leaving as I was coming in the door several times. I am so glad I was not called to be a nurse/caregiver and after this week.  I know why I was not called to this field.  It takes very special people.  I would have probably been the nurse that told a patient that I was going to leave the room and they(the patient) could just take their OWN vital signs.  I don't relish the role that I have had to do this week but would do it again if I had to.  I love my wonderful, grumpy husband/patient and if I can help him this way I WILL!

This week was a week of grumpiness, tears, screaming, prayers, laughter and apologies.  There were times when Richard had stated that God was not listening to him and that God had turned his back on him.  He is tired and discouraged and ready to feel normal  but he did realize that God is there and had sent angels to us.

Those angels came in the prayers, the phone calls, the comments on face book, those that picked up and took care of daughter, the cards and the surprise visits!!  We could not have made it through a week like this without our friends and the way you have ministered to us.  God kept sending us angels just like you!!


Read through this song sung by Delbert Mcclinton.

 Standing on the bank of a river

By the shore

Seems like the devil's always tryin'

To get in my door

Just when I thought I

Couldn't take it anymore

Here he came again

My friend


He keeps sending me angels,

From up on high

He keeps sending me angels,

To teach me to fly

He keeps sending me angels,

Sweet and true

He keeps sending me angels,

Just... like... you...


As I stand on this mountain

Face to the wind,

Amazed by the number of times I have sinned,

And the countless number of enemies

That should have been friends


Here he comes again,

My friend


He keeps sending me angels,

Here they come a-flyin'

He keeps sending me angels,

To keep me from cryin'

He keeps sending me angels,

Sweet and true

He keeps sending me angels,

Just... like... you...


Some say that it's comin'

I say that it's already here

The love that's among us through

The joy and the fear

When I look into your eyes

Everything is so clear

My friend, oh here he comes again


He keeps sending me angels,

From up on high

He keeps sending me angels,

To teach me to fly

He keeps sending me angels,

Sweet and true

He keeps sending me angels,

Just... like... you


Richard is feeling better today.  The swelling seems better and he has been able to keep the food in him.  Thank-you to all for your prayers and support!! 

2 comments:

  1. I love you Brenda! That's when God steps in, when we run out of strength ourselves. Pastor Keith just preached this morning about being tired, discouraged, and ready to give up. He assured us that Paul felt this way many times throughout his ministry. I am praying that Richard will feel the Lord's presence again and that you will have His strength to carry on when you don't feel like you can! LOVE YOU! If we can help in any way, please let us know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that Richard is home. Sorry he's still having trouble. I am praying for him, you, and your family.

    ReplyDelete