Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Stain

I remember the day I went to Dandy's house and saw the stain.  There was a big red stain in the middle of her carpet.  When I ask her what happened she told me an incredible tale.  One night she heard a noise and went to investigate.  She encountered a burglar in her front room.  She saw a flash and expected to die but didn't.  Her father took her place.  He stepped in front of her just in time to take a bullet in the chest.  He fell to the floor dying as the intruder ran away.

Dandy was very distraught but she was sure of one thing and that was that she would never wash that stain away.  She walked by that stain with reverence and thanks, always remembering what her father had done for her.  She missed her father and knew that she owed her life to him.

It was several years after the shooting before I saw Dandy again.  She led me to the room where her father had died and led me right across the stain.  The stain had faded and she didn't even seem to remember that this was the place where she was saved.  She walked right across that stain several times with not one mention of what her father had done for her.  She didn't seem to remember that the stain represented the one who died so that she could live.

The above is fiction but I know One who did die for you and me.  He took our place so that we might live.

Do you remember or has the stain faded?


Ephesians 1:7

New International Version (NIV)
7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace









No comments:

Post a Comment