Thursday, August 18, 2011

Sacrifices

It seems like everyday now I am hearing more news of soldiers dying.  This is very distressing news. This morning I just heard that there was an eighth soldier from Oklahoma that died.  I am lifting up prayers for the families.

I can only imagine the pain and distress that the families are feeling.  I had a marine, army and national guard but they are out of the service now.  I remember the relief I felt when each one served their last day.

I also remember the day that my army son reached enemy land.  It was  hard and during that first deployment I had many dream and nightmares.  I dreamed of being there with him.  In the dreams I was always trying to protect him but in one vivid dream I remember that as I tried to protect him, he stepped in front of me with his gun drawn.  I realized that was why he was there.  He was serving to protect me and you.

This is a poem I wrote during my sons first deployment.

                                        My Nightmare

                                 Dreams flood my sleep
                                 Tossing and turning like wild waves
                                 My son is tall like the American Flag
                                 Running like a caged rat I look for him

                                 Glimpses of helicopters and desert fatigues
                                 Camels and veiled women float by
                                 Past the convoys and gun fire
                                 I see him giving muffins to little children

                                Yelling I am proud of you
                                 I sense him very close
                                 Reaching out to touch
                                 But instead I awaken to the door bell


Thank-you to all the men and women serving.  Thank-you for your sacrifices and protection.  I am sending up many prayers on your behalf.  Right now I am sending up prayers for the families of those that have made the ultimate sacrifice.

1 comment:

  1. Now there are two more they have made that sacrifice. Thanking them and praying for the families!

    ReplyDelete