Sunday, July 31, 2011

The "Booger Man"

One day, several years ago I was on the way to work and was stopped at a red light. There was a  pickup in the lane next to me.  A movement out of the pickup caught my eye and I turned just in time to see some man stick his finger up his nose.  It was with some nausea I shouted through my closed window, "DON"T DO IT!!"  He couldn't hear me though.  He brought his finger out of his nose and yes there was something on it.  It was nasty, it was slimy and it repulsed me but gathering my nerve I yelled,  through closed window, I CAN SEE YOU!!!   He still didn't hear me.  The light turned green and I headed to work with thoughts running through my mind like, "Did he think no one would see?" and "I should have honked and rolled down my window to let him know he was nasty, gross and making me sick!"

Maybe he was just in his own world and forgot where he was.  Maybe he thought he could do whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted.  Maybe he just didn't care whom he made gag all the way to work.  Maybe he thought nobody would see.  Maybe all of the above.

Now I have seen young children do the same thing.  You know take a booger out of their nose, play with it and even eat it.  That might make me feel nauseated but they don't know any better.  They have to be taught.  You have to explain that you don't take things out of your nose to play with, to throw on your brother or to eat it.  You tell them and show them how to take a kleenex and blow that green booger onto that kleenex, then throw it in the trash.

I have found in my own life that I have things that resembles big, fat, slimy boogers.  Those boogers are sin.  I have been taught the right way but sometimes I must not care.  Maybe I think that nobody will know.  Maybe I think that I can do whatever I want.  Maybe I think that nobody will see.

SOMEBODY does see and my sin repulses HIM.  HE yells don't do it!! HE is my TEACHER.  HE is my LORD!!   HE loves me even thought I have been taught but yet still sin.  JESUS is that kleenex that wipes away my sin!

Do you need a kleenex today??

Isaiah 44:22

New International Version (NIV)

22 I have swept away your offenses like a cloud,
   your sins like the morning mist.
Return to me,
   for I have redeemed you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment