Saturday, July 30, 2011

The Art of My Cravings

Yesterday on the way to work, I stopped by McDonalds to get one of their dollar drinks, an unsweet tea.  If you have read my blogs then you know I struggle with eating right and my weight.  If I am sad, happy or mad I eat.  Chocolate has been one of my best friends for a very long time.  You also know that I told God that I am His and want His help in this struggle.

Yesterday though I rationalized that I would also get three chocolate chip cookies.  My thoughts being well I am only buying three of them.  It's not like I am eating a dozen.  I went to work getting there early and was enjoying the taste, the texture and everything about those cookies.  They smelled so good but they tasted even better.  I decided while I was savouring those luscious cookies I would read Janelle Keith's blog spot.

I was amazed when the blog opened and the first thing I saw was a picture of chocolate chip cookies.  My thoughts were wow, my kind of cookie, then I started reading her blog.  She stated she had been reading her bible and had ran across this verse:

Romans 14:20

New International Version (NIV)
20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a person to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble.

She just had the first sentence of this and I read it as the last crumbs of those cookies were reaching my stomach.  I felt this verse reach the pits of my stomach then it traveled to my heart and left me speechless.  Janelle stated that God was not through with her yet and that there was a lot of work through her obedience in the area of food.  She also stated that chocolate chip cookies just were not worth it.(I know this is not stated exactly right, read her blog,)

The art of my cravings has been rationalization.  I can rationalize the eating of anything.  Romans 14:20 hit me right in the middle of that thinking.  I do not want to destroy the work of God for the sake of food.  I have put it out there for anybody to see when I posted the blog 'Here I am, Lord, All of Me'. 
I do not want to cause somebody to stumble for the sake of eating some chocolate chip cookies.

JanelleKeith.com

No comments:

Post a Comment