Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Bowling Churchwomen

1990 was the year that I moved to Enid, Oklahoma.   I had thought that I was okay with the move but once I got to Enid I missed my hometown so much that I wanted to take my family and head back home.  Wellston was where my friends were.  Wellston was where my family was.  My group was there.

I did join a church and made friends but something was missing.  It was my group!  The people in that group were people that I had grown up with and went to church with.  They knew my secrets, they laughed and cried with me.  I also knew their secrets, laughed and cried with them.  I missed them, the intimacy and the silliness.  

I had been at the Enid church about two years when I let the piano player talk me into joining a bowling league.  That was the start of the group! A group that I was a part of and that accepted me just as I was!  By the second year of bowling there were two teams.  The women were all from church.  We were the Bowling Churchwomen!!

Some of the women's husband's would be there cheering us on.  There was also a brother to one of the bowlers that would fill in if one of us could not be there.  It was not a big deal.  We just called him by the name of the woman who was absent.  He fit right in.

This group not only put up with me and my silliness, they kept me sane.  They put up with my jokes(including a fake wedding), Dr. Pepper flying out of my nose from laughter, sadness from divorce and death and  bragging about my children.  In turn I happily did the  same for them.  We were not just a group, we were best friends!

Then change happened.  One member had a job transfer, another's work hours changed, one had grandbabies and before we knew it the group was no longer bowling.  The women of the Bowling Churchwomen may not be together anymore but they are engraved in my heart forever!

God will supply the needs of His children!  God knew that when He gave me that desire of my heart that He also filled a need. 

Philippians 4:19

New International Version (NIV)
19 And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment