Thursday, June 27, 2013

What weighs you down?

There are lots of things that can weigh me down.  My weight is an obvious answer but also my thoughts, my actions and my junk piles are among other things that can weigh me down.  I started thinking about things that can weigh me down after a funny incident that happened to my daughter.

She has started working out at school this summer.  The coaches from most of the sports are there and they start out at the football field on the track area around the field.  While they are in that area they do all kinds of things from lunges to running with sled weights.

That is when her funny situation happened.  She was running around the track for the first time with the sled weights.  She said that as she was running she was not aware that the weights behind her were shifting to the side.  She was passing the goal post when she heard a clang and then realized that she was lying on her back.  The sled weights had flown so far to the side that they wrapped around the goal post bringing her down in the process.  She said that everybody on that field started laughing.  She said that the laughter was so loud that the people in the houses across the street probably wondered what was so funny.  The coaches made sure that she was okay and than they also laughed.

Those sled weights are like sin.  Sin sneaks in when I least expect it, wraps around the goal post and the next thing I know I am on my back weighed down with sin.  Have you ever got wet with all your clothes on?  Jeans, shoes everything? I have.  It was so heavy it was hard to walk.  Sin is heavier than that!

My daughter's coaches are the ones that can instruct and explain to her how she should run with the sled weights.  They can teach her how to run without getting them wrapped around the goal post.  She will be able to run around the field with out faltering. She will be able to finish the race and when she takes off the weights she will be able to run really fast.

I have a coach that will instruct me on how to get rid the sin in my life.  He teaches me daily and convicts me of sin that weighs me down.  When I land on my back wondering what just happened He is reaching to pick me up. The devil may be laughing loudly but my coach helps rid me of the sin and it's extra weight that slows me down.  My coach gets me back in the race.  My coach is Jesus.  With His help I will finish this race and one day I will see Him face to face!!

Who is your coach?

Hebrews 12:1-2

New International Version (NIV)
12 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment