Monday, April 29, 2013

How many have you stoned?


John 8:7-8

New International Version (NIV)
When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.
  

I was traveling to Woodward last Friday and then again on Saturday.  I drove through the area of the Quartz Mountains on the way and back both days.  I was thinking that one of these days that I need to stop and explore.  I noticed all the stones around the area and thought that some of the area might be rough going but that the view was very beautiful.

My mind always wonders away from the subject and I quickly forgot my plans to someday explore the area as I thought of the stone that Jesus could have thrown at the adulterous woman.  His reply said it all.  You without sin be the first to throw the stone at her.  The accusers quietly left.

My thought was that I could never throw a stone at others but a thought immdiately entered my mind that I have hurled many stones.  My thoughts and actions at times might as well have been real stones.

I have thrown stones of unkindness, pride, indifference, unfriendliness, strife, selfishness and apathy.  The stones that I have thrown may have struck a heart with as much or more damage than if I had thrown a real stone.

I have to realize that it is only because of Jesus that I am a sinner saved by grace.  Without Him I am nothing!!  When I feel my stones ready to be hurled I have to remember what He has done.  Jesus led the way!  I have to follow and drop all stones!


John 3:16-17

New International Version (NIV)
16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.


No comments:

Post a Comment