Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me, or will they?  I have seen a lot in the news lately about bullying and I have even written an article or two on this subject for examiner.com.  Bullying can be vicious and leave the victims hurting or worse.  I think sometimes the hurt that words can inflict stay there forever.  I am not sure why bullies become bullies and hurt people but we all say things sometimes that we regret.

I remember a day in the fourth grade when a group of girls let their words loose on one girl.  They called her names.  They called her smelly.  They called her dirty.  They told her that her clothes looked terrible.  It reduced this young lady to tears.  The teacher did impose punishment on that group but I will never forget the look on the girl's face.  She was embarrassed and mortified.  I have a feeling she can remember that day just like it was yesterday.

I even remember one time when I was in fifth or sixth grade when I told a young lady that something was her fault when it wasn't.  I don't remember the exact words I said to her but I do remember the reaction.  She was hurt and to this day I feel shame that I said something that wasn't true and hurt her.  I hope that she has forgotten and forgiven me.

I have had things said to me that I will never forget.  There were times that I wished the person had just hit me and got it over with.  The words that hurt linger long after the forgiving.  Words are so hard to take back once they have been said.

I think the saying should be sticks and stones may break my bones but words will linger forever.

There is ONE that can soothe those hurtful words and calm your soul.  HIS words are a balm to the desperate and hurting. HE can even forgive those who say those words that leave such hurt behind.  HE is the ONE that was broken by sticks and stones and had hurtful, untrue words screamed at HIM.  HE forgave them and HE will forgive you!


Ephesians 1:7-8

New International Version (NIV)
7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace 8 that he lavished on us. With all wisdom and understanding,

1 comment:

  1. I agree completely! Those hurtful words do linger forever.

    ReplyDelete