Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Day I became the GRINCH

This was a horrible, no good, rotten, terrible day.  Yes it was my day off and I had promised my 13 year old daughter and 8 year old granddaughter that I would take them Christmas shopping.  I had started the day wrapping a few presents while humming silent night, then cleaned the kitchen and dining area.  I was thinking in my mind that this would be a good day.

We went to Hobby Lobby and JC Penneys and by the time we left the last store my credit cards were smoking and the girls were begging for food.  I needed to go to Wal-Mart but told the girls I was going to drop them off at the house first and would then bring them their favorite lunch, McDonalds.  Wal-Mart was getting crowded and people were stopping in the middle of the aisle with no warning.  I left there with a scream stuck in my throat.

My daughter had a dentist appointment at three and that is where I turned into the Grinch.  I was sitting there thinking about my day and that it could only get better. Wrong!  The dentist, who is my dentist, thought I was the grandmother.  Well I am a grandmother but not of my daughter!!  I had smoke now coming out my ears, nose, mouth and horns were growing out of the top of my head.  My lips were snarling and I thought about my low, down rotten, no good day and was fixing to give someone a Grinch speech when I heard the words Merry Christmas.

Those words broke the spell and the Grinch slowly left leaving me with feelings of shame.  What did it matter if somebody thought I was old.  I am old.  What did it matter if somebody stopped in front of me without warning.  It doesn't matter that my credit cards are smoking but it does matter when silly things affect how I treat others.

I do not want to represent the Grinch! I want my life to represent the One who came to save me.



“While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no guest room available for them.” Luke 2:6-7NIV


John 3:16

New International Version (NIV)

 16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment