Friday, September 23, 2011

I Killed Jesus

I killed Jesus!  No, I was not there when He died but I killed him.  I was not there when He was dragged and beaten.  I was not in the crowd that yelled, "Crucify Him!"  I did not witness His walk through the crowded streets or see Him fall under the weight of the cross.  I didn't hear the sound of the hammer as it hit the nails that pierced through His forgiving hands.  I didn't hear the cries of His mother as she watched Her son die but I killed Jesus!

How could I kill Jesus if I wasn't there?  There is something inside me that was there.  It was there when He was dragged and beaten.  It was there when the crowd chose Him to be crucified.  It was there when he walked the street to Golgotha.  It was there when He was nailed to the cross. This thing inside me didn't even cringe when His mother cried.

I am not the only one that has this thing inside me.  Everybody has it.  It is sin.

Romans 3:23

New International Version (NIV)
23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

This sin inside me is why Jesus died.  My sin killed Jesus but He left heaven and was born to die for me.  His death on the cross paved the way to my salvation.  He knew that without Him I would die and He took my place.

Romans 6:23

New International Version (NIV)
23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in[a] Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 5:8

New International Version (NIV)
8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.


  Christ died for me even though I had a part in His death.  He knew that without His death I would have faced destruction. Jesus forgave my sin even though it killed Him. He gave us hope!  Jesus knew that God would raise Him from the dead but when I think of the pain that He suffered because of me I am forever grateful! When God raised Christ from the grave I was given a choice.

Romans 10:9

New International Version (NIV)
9 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

Romans 8:1

New International Version (NIV)
1 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus,
I choose Christ!! What will you choose??

1 comment:

  1. Oh Brenda! This is powerful! It made me picture "The Passion of the Christ" and also right above our TV here where I am, I have that "Forgiven" picture and it reminds me of that as well. Wow...very....humbling...

    ReplyDelete