Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Standoff

For those of you that have been reading my blog since I started, then you know that I HATE spiders.  I would walk an extra mile if I knew that would help me avoid a spider.  I have perfected a kung fu spider dance and it is complete with the yelling.  When my three oldest were all under 10 they had got so used to my mad method of killing spiders that when friends asked them why I was screaming they would calmly reply that I was just killing a spider. I hate spiders!!!

There has been something in the corner of the shower that has made taking a shower very difficult this week.  It is a nasty spider.  I am not sure how long that spider has been there but I made eye contact with it on Sunday.  I happened to see something out of the corner of my eye and looked up with both eyes and I saw the spider.  That is when the standoff commenced.  I didn't scream(a miracle) and I didn't run.  I just stood my ground and stared in the direction of where it's eye or eyes should be and told it this was my shower and to get out.  That didn't work.  That spider has been there every morning this week and I have had a standoff and a stare down every morning.  This morning I had enough and told the spider so.  The spider still didn't listen so I decided to take action.

I decided that I could not try to kill it while I was in the shower because it might fall on me and there is not enough room in the shower to do my kung fu spider dance.  I hurried through my shower and decided I would talk it down to where I could reach it and smash it.  The spider didn't listen it just kept staring at me so I gathered my courage and I sprayed that spider down with Lysol.  I didn't scream, I didn't do my kung fu moves.  I just calmly told that spider that it best be gone in the morning or else.

That spider has been an obstacle this week and I did not have very pleasant showers this week.  They have been hurried and distracted with an eye on that spider at all times.

My walk with Jesus is like that at times.  I have so many obstacles that I let get in the way.  I focus on the obstacles instead of Jesus.  I should not let fear keep me in a stand off.   I need to spray my can daily.  I need to be bold and courageous.  I have the helmet of salvation and the sword of the spirit and I should let it spew forth.

What do you have??


Ephesians 6:17

New International Version (NIV)
17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment