Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Eleven Cents



                                                               



It was late December and Richard was in the hospital.  I had fallen asleep but woke up with a dread that I could not get rid of.  I reached out and touched his hand but he slept on.  I just had this feeling that my husband was not going to live much longer.

I decided to text a friend who always seemed to be awake late and asked for prayers and told her of my fears.  She texted back almost immediately with words of comfort and compassion.  She also prayed. We texted back and forth and suddenly Richard started talking.

He was talking in his sleep.  I can't remember exactly what he said but it had to do with Jesus dying on the cross.  He kept telling me that I needed to give an offering to Jesus because Jesus had died on the cross.  Without thinking I told him that I didn't have any money.

That was the wrong answer!  He started telling me that I should give at least eleven cents and again I told him that I didn't have any money.  What was I thinking?   I should have just said, yes I will give at least eleven cents.  He started lecturing me on what a terrible person I was because I didn't want to give to the Savior and how on earth could I not have eleven cents.  I learned that night to not ever try to reason with a person that is sleep talking.  I also learned that a person can go from fear to laughing pretty quick.  For some reason this struck me as funny and  I could not stop laughing.

The next morning he did not remember anything but it is etched in my memory.  Even in my husband's dreams he was dreaming about Christ and how He died and rose again for us.  I also need to remember, even though Richard was dreaming when he called me a terrible person, that I am a terrible person!  I need to offer not just eleven cents but my life! Only with Christ as my Savior am I worth anything!  Christ paid my debt!

Has Christ paid yours?


No comments:

Post a Comment