Monday, July 21, 2014

I Use To

The last two weeks, our preacher has talked about being a prodigal son or daughter.   One of the scripture passages that he used was Luke 15:11-32.  I bet many of you know exactly what that scripture is.  It is about the son that wanted his share of the money.  He didn't want to wait until the appropriate time.  He wanted it right then and his father gave it to him.  That passage also talks of how eventually the prodigal son ended up feeding and eating with the pigs.  It was at that point that he started thinking, and this is a paraphrase of the scripture and of what our preacher said, what have I done, I am living with pigs, I am hungry and I have nothing.  I used to be able to sit at a table and feast with my family.  I used to live in comfort and never went hungry.  I should go back and apologize and see if I can become a servant at my father's house.

Than the preacher talked about us, the church members.  How many of us used to do something but not anymore.  We used to sit at the table and partake with our Lord but not anymore.  We used to fellowship with Him but not anymore.  We used to sow for Him but not anymore.  Then he said, so if we used to do but we don't anymore and we aren't doing more than we used to do that makes us a prodigal.

This made me think if I had any I used to dos.  This also made me think about shoulda, coulda, wouldas and how many of those are hanging around dragging back into the kingdom of being a prodigal.  I am not saying that the used tos, shoulda, coulda, wouldas put me where I shouldn't be, I put myself there.  So how do I drag myself away from the pig pen.  I have to be willing to be a servant and apologize to my Savior.  I have to let go of the I used to and the shoulda, coulda, wouldas and keep my ears open for the instructions of my Lord.

What about you?  What did you used to do?


Luke 15:14-24New Living Translation (NLT)

14 About the time his money ran out, a great famine swept over the land, and he began to starve. 15 He persuaded a local farmer to hire him, and the man sent him into his fields to feed the pigs. 16 The young man became so hungry that even the pods he was feeding the pigs looked good to him. But no one gave him anything.
17 “When he finally came to his senses, he said to himself, ‘At home even the hired servants have food enough to spare, and here I am dying of hunger! 18 I will go home to my father and say, “Father, I have sinned against both heaven and you, 19 and I am no longer worthy of being called your son. Please take me on as a hired servant.”’
20 “So he returned home to his father. And while he was still a long way off, his father saw him coming. Filled with love and compassion, he ran to his son, embraced him, and kissed him. 21 His son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against both heaven and you, and I am no longer worthy of being called your son.[a]
22 “But his father said to the servants, ‘Quick! Bring the finest robe in the house and put it on him. Get a ring for his finger and sandals for his feet. 23 And kill the calf we have been fattening. We must celebrate with a feast, 24 for this son of mine was dead and has now returned to life. He was lost, but now he is found.’ 

No comments:

Post a Comment