Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Steve Davis

It was with shock that I learned that Steve Davis had died!  He was a part of my life even if he didn't know who I was.  I grew up watching OU football and when Steve came on the scene I was enthralled.  I was in love!(lol)  Not only was he the best quarterback ever but he was so, so cute!!  Now he was six or seven years older than I but that didn't keep my heart from beating faster as I watched him play football.

It was with even greater joy that I learned that not only was he a wonderful football player but he was also a christian!!  He wasn't quiet about it either.  It was the summer after my 10th grade year that I sat at the feet of Steve Davis.  I was at Falls Creek and way back then we had parks where we learned about God after early worship.  That year the word got out that Steve was going to speak at our park on a particular day.  I made sure that I was on the back bench and when I saw him walk into the area where he was going to speak I ran and plopped down right at his feet.  I am sure that it was amusement  that I saw run through his eyes but he stayed put and I had the best spot in the park that morning.

Did I tell him that I was in love with him?  NO but it was probably obvious to him that I was very infatuated with him. I forgot about his looks and my 'love' as I listened to him speak about his love for Christ and how to stay true to God. He loved football but God was first in his life.  From what I have read he was able to keep that love of God fresh and kept Him first the rest of his life.  If that is true than I am sure that on Sunday as he passed from this life into the next that he heard the words, 'Well done'.

I loved sitting at the feet of Steve Davis as a youth that year at Falls Creek but I know that there is something better than that and it will be sitting at the feet of my Lord and Savior!!  What about you?  Where will you be sitting?


John 3:16-17

New International Version (NIV)
16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.



No comments:

Post a Comment