Thursday, February 9, 2012

The trail of cats

Yesterday, I headed to an appointment with my arthritis Doctor. I traveled down highway 81, then turned East onto highway 51, then South onto Highway 74 and then finally on into Edmond.  There was a strange sight on highways 51 and 74. There was a trail of cats on those two  roads. Squashed cats!  I counted eight cats that were splattered in the middle of the road, on those two highways.  Now those cats are the ones that have a white stripe down the middle of their back.  Polecats or skunks are their name.

They must have been headed to the skunk convention or something but those eight didn't make it.  They were squashed, mangled and torn apart but they did leave something behind.  I didn't recognize some of the smashed, ripped apart cats until I had driven by and their smell wafted into my car.  That smell is not pleasant.  In fact it is down right disgusting.

Skunks are not really that bad looking. They have shiny black hair with a distinct white stripe and a bushy full tail.  They have dark eyes that might mesmerize and beg me to come closer. Those eyes don't tell the truth. They don't tell of the stench! The stink is what would invade my body, mouth, nose and eyes if I ventured to close and then everyone I came in contact with would know what had happened to me. They would know until the smell wore off but I would remember forever. 

The devil is like that.  He is full of mesmerizing stuff that looks good, is enticing and begs me to come closer.  He sends people, chocolate and songs that don't seem to look, taste or sound bad.  He is the master of disguise and will come in many shapes, forms and sizes.  He knows my weakness' and will put them in front of me.  If I can only remember the smell of sin.  That stench of sin is far worse than any black, white striped cat every smelled. Will I smell it forever?

I will not smell it forever because I have been redeemed!  I will smell the sweet smell of my Savior forever!

What does your sin smell like?  Can you still smell it?

Psalm 115:6

New International Version (NIV)


6 They have ears, but cannot hear,
noses, but cannot smell.

2 comments: