Friday, April 22, 2011

This is "THE DAY"

Most of the people that read this blog know that I have children that were and are in the military.  They also would know that at various times between the years of 2005 and 2010 there were three deployments.  There was one  that deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq and the other has been in Iraq.  It was their choice to join the military and though I am so very proud of them I would not have chosen the military for them.

I am a proud citizen of the United States and willing to defend if needed but the thought of my children going into danger seemed almost impossible to bear.  I knew there would be a chance of injury or death and if I could have kept them from deploying I would have.  I did not want my children sacrificed!!!  There were sad, anxious tears and moments during each deployment but what tears of joy with each return!!!

I may not have been willing for a child of mine to be sacrificed but I know of One who was.  I don't know how this Father could stand to see His Son tortured and beaten.  How could He watch as His Son walked the road to a certain death.  The crowds yelled, mocked and spit on Him during that long walk that ended at a cross.

This Father and Son were willing even though they knew that "THE DAY" would come when the Son would walk the path to the cross.  They were willing because of YOU and ME.  Without the cross we would be nothing because it didn't end there.  The Son rose again!!!!  He is alive and because of His sacrifice we can experience eternal life.

The Death of Jesus: Matthew 27
 45 From noon until three in the afternoon darkness came over all the land. 46 About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eli, Eli,[c] lema sabachthani?” (which means “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”).[d]
 47 When some of those standing there heard this, they said, “He’s calling Elijah.”
 48 Immediately one of them ran and got a sponge. He filled it with wine vinegar, put it on a staff, and offered it to Jesus to drink. 49 The rest said, “Now leave him alone. Let’s see if Elijah comes to save him.”
 50 And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit.
 51 At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook, the rocks split 52 and the tombs broke open. The bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. 53 They came out of the tombs after Jesus’ resurrection and[e] went into the holy city and appeared to many people.
 54 When the centurion and those with him who were guarding Jesus saw the earthquake and all that had happened, they were terrified, and exclaimed, “Surely he was the Son of God!”

Matthew 28

Jesus Has Risen
 1 After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to look at the tomb.
 2 There was a violent earthquake, for an angel of the Lord came down from heaven and, going to the tomb, rolled back the stone and sat on it. 3 His appearance was like lightning, and his clothes were white as snow. 4 The guards were so afraid of him that they shook and became like dead men.
 5 The angel said to the women, “Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. 6 He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay. 7 Then go quickly and tell his disciples: ‘He has risen from the dead and is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him.’ Now I have told you.”
 8 So the women hurried away from the tomb, afraid yet filled with joy, and ran to tell his disciples. 9 Suddenly Jesus met them. “Greetings,” he said. They came to him, clasped his feet and worshiped him. 10 Then Jesus said to them, “Do not be afraid. Go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee; there they will see me.”

Jesus did sacrifice for us but HE is ALIVE!!! 


   

1 comment: