Tuesday, March 1, 2011

My Old Grey Shoes, They Ain't What They Used to Be

  My feet are a pain.  They always hurt and finding shoes that are comfortable is not an easy task.
  Once upon a time though I found the perfect pair of shoes.  They were grey, just the right width and made walking an easy task.  When my feet hurt I prefer to stay reclined but most jobs require one to be present.  The discovery that I had finally found the perfect pair was met with elation and after that the grey shoes spent lots of time with me.
  My grey shoes and I were together almost everywhere I went.  We explored the beaches in Hawaii and Florida.  We walked to the edge of Pikes Peak and looked out over Colorado.  We spent time at the foot hills in North Carolina. Those shoes were on my feet when I flew into Germany.  I even wore the grey shoes as I watched my sons graduate from their marine, army and national guard training and my daughter from Kindergarten.
  If  shoes could talk those grey shoes could tell on me.  Since they were with me most days they have seen my moods, attitudes and impatience.  Those grey shoes may have been perfect but they still couldn't make me behave.  There is only ONE that can do that and HE walks with me daily.  HE never leaves me.  When HE sees my moods, attitudes and impatience I feel that gentle nudge that tells me to behave.
  I wore those shoes every day but one day I knew that something was wrong. I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was but each day the feeling got worse. I finally figured out that the grey shoes were not perfect anymore!  I had walked the perfect right out of those shoes.  They were not what they used to be.  The grey shoes and I had walked our last walk together.  It was with sadness that I put those shoes away.
  There is ONE that sticks closer than grey shoes and HIS names is JESUS! We will never walk a last walk together!  We will walk together now and for eternity!
                                       Old grey shoes don't die they just walk away!



Proverbs 18:24

New King James Version (NKJV)
24 A man who has friends must himself be friendly,[a]
But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love this one!!!!!!!! If I was as lucky as thoses shoes I would be well traveled!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog, it's time you wrote a grown-up book. :) I want the first copy. Those shoes were made for walking. ;)

    ReplyDelete