Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Silly Things that I Sometimes Do

The other day I did something really silly.  I know that  I am allergic to honey.  I know that if I eat honey I am going to itch and possible get a rash.  I just love honey so much I could not contain myself.  I decided that maybe just this one time I would not itch.

I poured just a little bit of honey on my plate and dipped my sopapilla into it.  Oh my it tasted so good I dipped it one more time, than just once more.  It was not long before I was regretting my silly decision to eat that honey.  I was itching and my lips felt very heavy and tight.  I knew better but I thought just this one time won't hurt.

As I reflected on my silly act I thought this it was just like sin. Sin is just like honey.  It taste so good!  It won't hurt just one time!  Nothing will happen just this one time but it does.  There are always regrets after sin.  There is always some itching and discomfort as you realize that sin does affect you.  Sin does hurt and it is silly to think that there will not be consequences.

I have to turn that sin over to my Lord.  I have to have His help so that I am not dipping into sin, just one more time.  The Holy Spirit woos and convicts me and keeps me itching and feeling heavy until I give that sin up again.  He will forgive and take away the itching.

What about you?  Do you keep dipping into the honey?

Psalm 103:11-12

New King James Version (NKJV)
11 For as the heavens are high above the earth,
So great is His mercy toward those who fear Him;
12 As far as the east is from the west,
So far has He removed our transgressions from us.

No comments:

Post a Comment