Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Are you listening?



                                                

The other day a good friend and I were talking and the subject came up about the art of listening.  It does seem that some people do not listen. They only want to talk.  They want to tell their story but they don't seem to listen in return.  This made me think about how well that I listen.  I decided that I really don't listen very well.  Many times my mind is wandering to other things and sometimes I look up to see the talker looking at me with a weird look.  I know that I am probably supposed to respond with something but since I don't know what was said I don't know what to say.  A conversation should be give and take, not one sided, but if one is not listening the right response will probably not come out of the mouth.

In thinking about the give and take of a conversation I also realize that many times my conversations with God are one sided.  Many times I am telling God what I need and what I want to happen but than I am not being still to listen to His response.  I wonder how many times God is speaking to me but I don't respond because I haven't heard what was being said?  I have to learn to be still and listen!

Are you listening?



Proverbs 23:19

New International Version (NIV)

Saying 16

19 Listen, my son, and be wise,
    and set your heart on the right path:

Psalm 46:10

New International Version (NIV)
10 He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth.”

No comments:

Post a Comment